8.18.2010

the sweet stuff

zucc brownie

So I can't possibly put all that savory, yummy food in the freezer without doing a little bit of time with chocolate and butter and vanilla, can I? Since I put an APB (all points bulletin) out on the facebook for some local zucchini I had to test out Krista's recipe for her zuc brownies. So that is exactly what I did this weekend...  I shredded and mixed and made oooie-gooie yum brownies with that hint of healthy. It was good. really good.

Zucchinis

Here is the recipe for the Zuc Brownies... um, yeah. Don't say I didn't warn you once you pull these bad boys out of the oven you will find them hard to resist. Oh, and I made these on Saturday morning and today, Wednesday, they continue to be 'just taken out of the oven' moist and chewy. I love. (um, I sort of can't believe they lasted thru Wednesday!) I never quite got to making the frosting for these, and though it probably makes them that much more 'over the top', I really like them without it! So if you just can't wait, don't worry about the frosting.


Inspired Zucchini Brownies
(thanks to Krista for the original recipe)
chocolate and milk


INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup canola oil

1 1/2 cups white sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups shredded zucchini

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I kept these out)


ICING

6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 cup butter

2 cups confectioners’ sugar

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini. At this point it is going to seem like you forgot something- but you didn't just stir until everything is mixed and moist. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.

oven ready brownies

To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and butter; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners’ sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous18.8.10

    those look goooood. I have a lot of summer squash coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. thankyou!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous31.5.12

    hey I remember these! You gave me this recipe a long while ago when I had so much zucchini I didn't know what to do with it!! your images are awesome and the recipe is kid approved! My kids loved it (a few times)love *red

    ReplyDelete

say hi...