5.17.2009

tamale pie

or you could also call it cornbread casserole.
tamale pie
Either way it is tasty and I have decided it is a keeper- simple, easy to adapt and quick. I think it is more of a fall/winter dish since you have to turn on the oven. Good thing I made this last week because today I wouldn't want to turn on the oven, it was 70 degrees out by 9:30this morning. Part of why I like this dish so much is it is one of those where you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry. So if you are looking into an empty fridge tonight this might just fit the bill for dinner.

I found this recipe while I was out on the Better Homes website while scourging for vegetarian options last month. If you aren't a veg head you could easily add in previously cooked ground turkey/beef or shred up chicken or pork and mix it in to the batch. I adapted the ingredients a little from the original, mostly because I don't usually keep V8 in the house and so I swapped it out for a can of diced tomatoes in onions and bell peppers. I have made this twice the first time with pinto and black beans the second with kidney and black beans- both times it came out great- so really what ever you like/have on hand will work I think.

One more thing- I used a box of the Jiffy Cornbread Mix. After reading the ingredients I am on the hunt for something a little less, um, hydrogenated to use. If any of you have a brand you like or a recipe of your own will you share it?

tamale pie

Tamale Pie

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots (optional, but adds a little something if you have them on hand)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 15-ounce can kidney beans or black beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed
1 15 once can diced tomatoes with onions and bell peppers
1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 8-1/2-ounce package corn muffin mix
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Grease a 2-quart square baking dish or 10-inch quiche dish; set aside.

2. In a medium skillet cook carrot, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in kidney beans, pinto beans, tomatoes, chile peppers, chili powder, and cumin; heat through. Spoon bean mixture into the prepared dish. (if you are adding in meat, this is wehre you would mix it in.)

3. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Add cheese and cilantro to muffin mix, stirring just until combined. Spoon cornbread mixture evenly over top of bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until golden. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream.

4. Makes 6 main-dish servings



Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That looks deliché!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that sounds yummy. I love tamale pie. Could you use the cornbread mix from Trader Joe's? Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete

say hi...