12.20.2009

North Pole Mud Bars- a recipe

day66

On Sunday night we had a little neighborhood holiday gathering. I did a quick scan of my fridge, I had one egg- not a good sign for baking. I then remembered that I had purchased chocolate to make the peppermint bark.

north pole mud bars

However, as I read the recipe it became clear that I hadn't purchased enough white chocolate to make them. Looking on the inside of the bar's wrapper I saw a few other options (I love when they do that, don't you? One caught my eye, Mississippi Mud Bars. I only need one egg and it looked like I had everything else for it as well.

quarter cup of peppermint

Reading a bit further, I realized it called for walnuts. I don't like to put nuts in my baked goods especially when I am bringing them to a gathering- too much worry about allergies. The other thing was, I had already chopped up the candy canes to make the bark and with no walnuts in the house I adjusted the recipe.
I thought you might like theseas much as we did, so I am passing on my spin. These would perfect for the holiday or maybe a little treat to help Santa on his way in a couple of nights??

Vanessa's North Pole Mud Bars
(adapted from a Ghiradelli Mississippi Mud Bar recipe)

north pole mud bars

Ingredients-
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) butter or margarine, softened

  • 3/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

  • 1/4 tsp. salt

  • 1 bar(4 ox) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped and divided in half (I used 1/2 cup chocolate chips here and it worked like magic)

  • 1 bar (4 oz) White Chocolate Baking bar, chopped and divided in half

  • 1/2 cup crushed candy cane or peppermint candies (I used the food processor but you could also use a zip top bag and a can of food to smash them)

Instructions-

  • Preheat oven to 350F

  • In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy

  • Mix in flour, baking soda and slat

  • Stir in half the chocolate (white and semi-sweet) and half the crushed peppermint candy

  • Spread in greased foil lined 9" square baking pan.

  • Bake 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.

  • Sprinkle with remaining chocolate

  • Cover with foil. Let stand 5 minutes or until chocolates are melted.

  • Swirl chocolate with a small knife to marbleized

  • Sprinkle with remaining crushed peppermint candies

  • Cool in pan until firm, then cut into bars.
north pole mud bars


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. that recipe looks killer. thanks! wishing you a wonderful holiday. warm hugs-jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, definitely a recipe i need to make. very festive, and of course your pictures are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dang it! Those look good!!! I could eat that bottom photo!

    I LOVE the blog A beautiful Mess. I had never been there before. Thanks for that!

    Hope you all have a super cozy and yummy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

say hi...